54 - Interventional Radiology International Outreach
E. Barnard, C. Tenewitz, S. Gutti, A. Farag, S. Bittle, G. Vatakencherry
Purpose: Interventional radiology (IR) is a rapidly expanding field that is becoming an integral component of the United States healthcare system and many other countries. As IR continues to have a global impact, it becomes significantly important for national organizations to provide information about this specialty to increase awareness of the field. The Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR) is an organization that has had a lasting impact on the field of IR through its expansion into social media platforms. The purpose of this study is to demonstrate the effect of SIR’s Residents, Fellows, and Students (RFS) social media platform and its impact on international outreach.
Material and Methods: The SIR RFS and the SIR RFS Medical Student Council (MSC) have an established collaborative system to disseminate information to help increase IR awareness in the medical community. This collective effort distributes its information through numerous modalities, including SIRweb.org, panel-led webinars, and social media platforms. We exported and reviewed data from the SIR RFS Instagram account (Instagram.com, Menlo Park, CA) and the IR Education YouTube channel (YouTube.com, San Mateo, CA).
Results: Data from the Instagram SIR_RFS account revealed that 60.9% of followers are from the United States, with the remaining 39.1% residing outside of the United States. The 39.1% of followers included 5.6% Brazil, 5.2% India, 1.7% Columbia, 1.3% Mexico, and the remaining 25.3% from a multitude of different countries. From the IR Education YouTube channel, the top three countries of viewers are the United States (41.7%), India (11.6%), and the United Kingdom (1.9%). The remaining 44.8% of views are from Europe, North America, South America, Asia, Africa, and Australia.
Conclusions: As a continuously expanding field that can dramatically change patients’ lives, IR has the potential to directly change people’s lives throughout the world. An essential step to develop this field is to create an awareness of IR through social media. The success of SIR and its ability to have an international impact demonstrates. With the efforts of SIR and other organizations such as the International Symposium of Endovascular Therapy (iSET) and the Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe (CIRSE), IR will thrive as a revolutionary and impactful field in medicine.