Research Scientist Kessler Foundation West Orange, New Jersey, United States
This symposium will cover secondary health complications following SCI and describe lifestyle therapeutic approaches to improve long-term health in this population.
• Describe the effects of a low carbohydrate/high protein diet on metabolism and body composition in individuals with SCI and insulin resistance.
• Describe the impact of low carbohydrate/high protein diet on the metabolome and gut microbiome composition in individuals with SCI and insulin resistance.
• Describe the effect of SCI on postprandial handling of macronutrients, focusing on dietary fats, and understand the role of exercise intensity on postprandial metabolism when exercise is conducted immediately before meal intake in SCI.
• Describe the effect of home-based electrical stimulation-induced exercise plus diet on whole and regional body composition in persons with long-standing SCI.
• Identify the effects of home-based electrical stimulation-induced exercise plus diet on basal metabolism, exercise energy expenditure, and substrate utilization in persons with long-standing SCI.