To counter school violence, we often train our youth “If you see something, say something.” It is what schools and law enforcement do with that information that may predict the outcome. The reason why law enforcement officers and school officials continue to “brush off” the student is due to the lack of training and understanding of social media and Internet Investigations. This workshop will train professionals on the protocols best used in dealing with this type of school violence. The goal of this training is to empower professionals how to gather digital evidence so they may find out who the perpetrator is and take action immediately after the comment or posting is made by the aggressor. Attendees will learn the fundamentals of investigating social media and Internet related crimes that deal with domestic terrorism. We will use the Electronics Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) to our advantage in identifying the person responsible for posting the online threats BEFORE the shooter has the opportunity to kill our children.
• Learn why it is important NOT to disregard information that has been given to LEO or school officals
• Understanding what the term “Leakage” means and how we can interpret the information
• Knowing what tools Law Enforcement has according to ECPA.
• Know items of evidence needed to successfully identify suspects who post online threats.
• Understand how to obtain IP's, screen names, screen captures, email headers, and statements for the investigation.
• Discuss the laws in that state in reference; Terrorist Threat, Falsely Making a Terrorist Threat, Swatting and Causing a Catastrophe.