Register for Motivational Interviewing
The ASAM Virtual Motivational Interviewing Workshop
Tuesay, October 19, 2021
10:00 am – 5:30 pm ET
The ASAM Motivational Interviewing Workshop is an engaging and interactive practice-based workshop designed to introduce and expand participants' knowledge and competence utilizing Motivational Interviewing (MI) in addiction treatment settings. MI is a goal-oriented, collaborative counseling style that evokes a person's own motivations for and commitment to change.
Physicians, clinicians, counselors, and all those speaking with patients with addiction often find that one of the main barriers to effective treatment is the patients' perceived lack of motivation to make changes. Without motivation on the patient's part, making or sustaining progress with treatment goals frequently stalls. MI is one technique that treatment clinicians can utilize to help patients make positive changes. Participants of this workshop will be introduced or reintroduced to the key concepts and skills of MI and explore ways to effectively integrate MI into addiction treatment to help promote positive patient outcomes.
Who Should Attend
Clinicians working with patients with addiction who are interested in an introductory workshop that reviews the core skills of Motivational Interviewing (MI) should attend. This workshop is designed for those with little to no prior experience with MI and for those with some prior exposure to MI. Participants of previous MI workshops who would like to continue their practice of fundamental MI skills with similar material are also welcome to attend.
Upon completion of this educational activity, participants should be able to:
- Apply the spirit of MI to clinical practice.
- Compare and contrast MI congruent interactions with MI dissonant interactions.
- Recognize change talk and apply the basic MI skills of open-ended questions, affirmations, reflective listening, and summaries to selectively reinforce change talk.
- Identify further training opportunities for practicing the skills of MI.
- Welcome and Workshop Introduction
- Capturing the Spirit: An Introduction to MI
- Building the Foundation: The Four Processes
- It's all about Skills: Using OARS, Informing, and Advising
- It's all about Change: Recognizing and Reinforcing Change Talk
- Overcoming the Barriers: Where We Get Stuck and Ways Out
- It's Your Journey: Learning MI, Overcoming Barriers, and Creating a Practice Implementation Plan
Program Planning Committee
Brian Hurley, MD, MBA, DFASAM, Chair
Carla Marienfeld, MD, Vice-Chair
Jeffrey Devido, MD, MTS
Caridad Ponce-Martinez, MD