This one-day Disorders of Consciousness (DOC) instructional course has been developed for the treating clinician. This course will focus on application of evidence-based Clinical Guideline Recommendations as it relates to the domains of DOC assessment, diagnosis, medical management, prognosis and family counseling. Content will assist attendees conceptualize how to develop transdisciplinary care plan and road map to optimize outcomes and quality of life for the DOC population. This course is appropriate for all disciplines working within DOC care and programs including physicians, neuropsychologists, therapists, nurses and care managers. Active learning virtual group activities and case studies will be included to promote problem-solving, collaboration and networking among attendees.
1. Describe an overview of the DOC Practice Guidelines (Giacino et al. 2018).
2. Describe assessment tools and strategies for accurate diagnosis of DOC.
3. Identify common medical complications in the DOC population and describe associated signs and symptoms.
4. Define behavioral and medical confounders impacting the presentation with DOC.
5. Identify interdisciplinary approaches to assessment and treatment of DOC.