Athletes can experience a variety of symptoms following concussion. A multidisciplinary approach to management, utilizing the expertise of occupational therapists and physical therapists, can address the constellation of impairments. An overview will be provided of common assessments and interventions utilized by the occupational therapist and physical therapist to evaluate vision and vestibular function. Using a patient centered approach this model of returning to play can take into account athletic ability ranging from the active, older adult to the elite athlete. A novel framework will be presented for the assessment of these athletes to determine readiness for return to safe play and exercise.
1. Define the similarities and differences of the occupational therapy and physical therapy approaches for concussion management in the athlete
2. Identify what are the athletes' needs and goals
3. Identify the occupational therapy role in preparing the athlete to return to play
4. Identify the physical therapy role in preparing the athlete to return to play
5. Describe a novel framework including an impairment specific assessment