Clinical Practice (assessment, diagnosis, treatment, knowledge translation/EBP, implementation science, program development)
Health Services Research
IC11: Integrating Patient Reported Outcomes (PRO) in Rehabilitation Clinical Practice
IC11: Case Study 4: Interpretability of scores, and linking assessments to web-based spinal cord injury self-management skills training (Integrating Patient Reported Outcomes (PRO) in Rehabilitation Clinical Practice) (843140)
The course will provide an introduction to the use of PROs in clinical practice and for quality improvement along with an overview of implementation science principles and how they can facilitate the use of PROs. To increase their widespread adoption and to optimize their usefulness to a range of stakeholders, PRO measures must be perceived as relevant, meaningful, and actionable to the patients, the clinicians using them, and the organizations implementing them. Application of the principles from implementation science can help identify strategies that address the contextual barriers and facilitators to using PRO measures in a specific clinical context. They can also guide the selection of implementation strategies and evaluate if the implementation of PRO measures was effective in improving the desired outcomes (e.g. patient activation, achieving rehabilitation goals). Participants will benefit from the experience of ongoing initiatives and from information exchange between participants using a structured and interactive approach.
• Describe the value of patient-reported outcomes (PROs) relative to other types of outcome measures for clinical practice and research
• Describe examples of PRO measures, including the PROMIS measurement system, and strategies to select the most appropriate patient-reported outcome domains for clinical practice and research
• Describe implementation science principles and how they can be used to identify enablers and barriers for implementing PRO measures in clinical practice
• Describe how implementation science frameworks can guide the evaluation of the process and effectiveness of using PROMs in clinical practice
• Apply knowledge of implementation science to the integration of PROMs into clinical practice based on case study examples, and small group discussions focused on the participant’s own setting.