WVC 90th Annual Conference
CE Credits: 1
Osteochondrosis is a general diagnosis that includes most articular diseases of growing horses. However, recent information has illuminated the pathogenesis of non-infectious articular disease in young horses, and expanded our understanding of how to limit and prevent these conditions. The multiple forms of young horse joint disease will be presented.
Kansas State University
Elizabeth Santschi, DVM, DACVS
• Bachelor of Science: University of Illinois, College of Agriculture
• D.V.M.: University of Illinois, College of Veterinary Medicine
• Internship: North Carolina State University
• Residency: Peterson and Smith Equine Hospital, Ocala, FL
• Dr. Santschi is presently investigating the biomechanical causes of, and treatments for, subchondral bone lucencies of young horses
• Dr. Santschi’s primary interest is in orthopedic diseases of juvenile horses. This includes disorders such as osteochondrosis and subchondral bone cysts, septic arthritis, and angular and flexural limb deformities.
• Other areas of interest include performance horse injury and fracture repair.
Selected recent publications:
1. Frazer LL, Santschi EM, Fischer KJ. The Impact of Subchondral Bone Cysts on Local Bone Stresses in the Medial Femoral Condyle of the Equine Stifle Joint. Med Eng Phy, 2017;48:158-167.
2. Roquet I, Easter JL, Coomer RPC, Ezquerra LJ, Marsh CA, Trostle SS, Santschi EM. Treatment of subchondral lucencies in the medial proximal radius with a bone screw in eight horses Vet Surgery, 2017; 46(4):478-485.
3. Santschi EM, Prichard MA, Whitman JL, Berk JT, Peterson ES, Canada NC, Morehead JP. Formation and prevalence of radiographic abnormalities of the medial femoral condyle in Thoroughbred horses from 6 to 20 months of age. Annual Proceedings of the AAEP 2016;62:407-13.
4. Bonilla AG, Williams JM, Litsky AS, Santschi EM. Ex-vivo contact data on the equine medial tibial plateau with and without a femoral osteochondral defect. Vet Surgery, 2015:44;289-296.
5. Santschi EM, Williams JM, Morgan JW, Johnson C, Bertone AL, Juzwiak JS. Preliminary investigation into the treatment of equine medial femoral condylar subchondral cystic lesions with a transcondylar lag screw, Vet Surgery, 2015:44;281-288.
The asset you are trying to access is locked. Please enter your access key to unlock.